Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Band of Angels a Protest Against War

We have set loose a band

of murdering angels

turbaned, bearded, full

of wrath, sliding across

our mapped out plan

and pissing on it while

filled with righteous

indignation, and carrying

scimitars.


Heads roll without dignity

across a littered floor.

The angels grunt with

satisfaction over a job

well done. We gasp...

It's all too much to bear

we never dreamed it

would come to this...

We must do SOMETHING!

Hate them more, kill

their children,

write scathing articles,

set loose more dogs,

declare another war.

The angels squat on

desert sands,

cover their mouths

with head scarves,

live calmly through

dust storms

and wait patiently.

A. Murray June 23, 2004

Note: During both the bombing of Afghanistan, and the Invasion of Iraq, I was writing commentaries that could have gotten me into a lot of trouble. I was always afraid of my own words, but my heart was sick from the terrible destruction taking place in lands far away from here. I still see the pictures of dead children being wrapped by family members for burial. I am not alone in this.

No comments: